Design and Technology encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. They are taught to look for opportunities and to respond to them by developing a range of ideas and making a range of products. The children are also given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present design technology, its uses and its effectiveness and are encouraged to become innovators.
- to develop children’s designing and making skills,
- to teach children the knowledge and understanding, within each child’s ability, that will be required to complete the making of their product,
- to teach children the safe and effective use of a range of tools, materials and components,
- to develop children’s understanding of the ways in which people have designed products in the past and present to meet their needs,
- to develop children's creativity and innovation through designing and making,
- to develop children’s understanding of technological processes, their management and their contribution to society