- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, through varied and frequent practise so that they are able to recall and apply what they have learnt quickly and accurately.
- Are able to reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations and developing an argument, justification or proof, using mathematical language.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems.
- Pupils are taught mathematics through the domains of:
- Number – place value, calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), fractions, decimals & percentages,
- Geometry – properties of shapes, position and direction
Where possible, links are made to other subject areas and ICT is used to enhance the subject.
Ongoing assessment is vital in informing teachers of pupils’ next steps. This may be in the form of informal assessments or more formal tests at the end of each term. Pupils have targets that they work towards each term to help them move up to the next ‘Level’ in mathematics.
In the Foundation Stage we follow ‘Development Matters’. Through this, we use White Rose and the resource ‘Numberblocks’. Numberblocks is a snappy animation and loveable characters combine with engaging storylines to gently introduce concepts of number to support early mathematical understanding. Right from the start, pupils are taught basic skills in numbers and shape, space and measures, through playing and exploring, active learning and creating and thinking critically. By the end of their reception year, most pupils have achieved their Early Learning Goals in all areas of mathematics. At Fernvale, we believe that mathematics is essential to everyday life and that a high-quality mathematics education provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
Every child at Fernvaletakes part in our two times tables systems:
Times Tables Rock Stars and Strawberry Jam/Lemon Curd.
Times Tables Rock Stars
In either paper form or online, is a carefully sequenced programme of daily times tables practice. Every child and member of staff in our school, has a log on to this website. Through this, they can challenge themselves and each other to Times Tables battles. You can even play other children from all over the world! By answering questions correctly, you can earn coins to spend customising your avatar. Make sure you take a look at our whole-school Times Tables Rock Star display in the corridor. If your child has forgotten their log on, please ask them to speak to their class teacher.